How to Check Laptop Battery Health in Windows 11 [Guide]
As portable productivity machines, one of the main advantages of a laptop is its battery life. While the exact battery life will depend on a variety of factors, including the specifications of the laptop and your usage patterns, battery health plays a vital role in the overall battery life of the laptop. If you have recently noticed that your laptop battery is not lasting as long as it used to be, there is a good chance that your laptop battery health has deteriorated. So today, we are going to take a look at the steps on how to check your laptop battery health in Windows 11.
Check Laptop Battery Health in Windows 11 (2021)
Besides the official method to check laptop battery status in Windows 11, we’ve included a ton of additional resources in this article. Here you will find a third-party battery checker app, steps to monitor usage, and some handy tips to improve the battery life of your Windows 11 laptop. So without wasting any time, let’s move on. to action.
What is battery health in Windows 11?
Battery health is a measure of your laptop’s battery life. As the battery goes through multiple charge cycles over several months, its overall total charge capacity begins to drop. Over time, the current battery capacity deviates significantly from the original capacity you had when you first bought the laptop. Here, the battery health is the percentage of the original battery capacity remaining in your laptop.
Check Laptop Battery Health in Windows 11
1. Open the Start menu and search command prompt. From the right panel, click Run as administrator. You can also use PowerShell to check your laptop’s battery status.
2. When the command prompt window opens, paste the following command and press Enter. It will then generate a battery report of your Windows 11 laptop.
3. Now navigate to C: Windows system32 and find the file ‘battery-report.html’. Clicking on the HTML file will open the report in your default browser on Windows 11. This battery report will contain several details about your laptop’s battery, including installed batteries, recent usage, battery history. battery capacity, etc.
4. In the “Batteries installed” section, you find the original design capacity and the current full load capacity. In this case, the total capacity has increased from 51,300 mWh to 43,069 mWh. Calculating the difference, the battery health of this Windows 11 laptop is currently 84%.
5. You also get a detailed weekly battery capacity history in the report. This way you can track the degradation of your laptop battery over months of use.
6. The report also highlights the battery life estimates at current condition and original capacity. This will give you an idea of how much battery life you should get as opposed to the battery life you currently get from the laptop.
7. Additionally, if you scroll down, you will see the estimated battery life since you installed Microsoft’s latest desktop operating system – the time you upgraded. upgraded from Windows 10 to Windows 11. In this case, the laptop should have lasted 4:50:47 (4 hours and 50 minutes) at rated capacity, but only manages to achieve a lifetime of the battery relatively less than 4:04:08 (4 hours and 4 minutes) in its current state.
Check battery status using third-party apps
Another way to check your laptop’s battery status is to use a third-party app. While there are several battery health checker apps on the market, the only free and simple app is called BatteryInfoView.
BatteryInfoView highlights key details about your Windows 11 laptop battery, including power status, current capacity, designed capacity, battery status, and voltage, to name a few some. You even have the option of exporting these battery statistics as a text file, CSV file, or HTML document. So go ahead and download this third party battery health checker app from the link below.
Download BatteryInfoView (Free)
Monitor battery usage by app in Windows 11
If you are having battery drain problem on your Windows 11 laptop, one of your installed apps could be the reason. Fortunately, you can check the battery usage per app from Windows 11 settings and eliminate the culprit.
To do this, go to Settings -> System -> Power and battery and you will see the list of apps that are draining your battery. Here you can view the apps currently in use, the apps running in the background, and sort the apps based on overall usage. For more detailed instructions, see our article on Checking Screen On Time in Windows 11.
Tips to improve battery life in Windows 11
An easy method to improve the battery life of Windows 11 laptops is to change power settings. Laptops generally offer a performance mode, a balanced mode, and a power saving mode. While you can push your laptop to its limits for resource-intensive tasks in performance mode, it will affect battery life.
Therefore, it is recommended to use the laptop in balanced mode to get sufficient performance without adversely affecting the battery life. You can of course change the power mode settings in Windows 11 depending on your use case. You can find detailed instructions on how to do this in our related article. And for more such tips, check out our article on improving the battery life of Windows laptops.
Check Windows 11 laptop battery health and replace battery if necessary
So that brings us to the end of our guide to checking the battery condition of your Windows 11 laptop. It is important to stress the need to replace the laptop battery after the original one is worn out. to increase the life of your battery and prevent potential accidents. While you are replacing the battery, it is recommended that you obtain an authorized battery replacement. If you plan to replace the battery yourself, be sure to find a compatible battery that works with the hardware specifications of your Windows 11 laptop.